Sunday, February 2, 2014

Facebook, IMO.

It didn’t really happen if you didn’t post it on Facebook.

At least that’s what it seems like it’s come down to. A few months ago, I was having a nice conversation with a friend when she asked what I did the weekend before. I told her that my husband and I went to Kansas City for the weekend just the two of us. She didn’t believe me. She thought I had made it up because I never posted anything on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

This actually kind of made me mad. Ever since then … I’ve almost avoided the social media site like the plague only to "like" a few things by my personal infatuation … Disney. Because it truly makes me happy. And because I'm being a brat.

Prior to that I had slowed down on Facebook and only managed to scroll through 10 posts or so before I became annoyed with all the Pinteresty-type shares and so on. If I wanted to see how to turn a tire into a swimming pool, I would be following you on Pinterest.

I’ll apologize in advance if I’ve missed that Junior learned to ride his bike without training wheels. Or that Susie lost her first tooth. Or that you’re expecting a little one. Just know that I like it … without "liking" it. And if you’ve noticed that you like all my stuff but that I never like any of yours, then you need to stop and realize that you’re being completely self-centered and ridiculous. You don’t need that little red flag to pop-up to feel approval. You don’t need my approval. If I had seen it, I would’ve liked it. I promise.

I remember when Facebook was a bastion of college and high school kids and when it defined a certain crowd. Now our Mom is there. And our Great Uncles and our Grandmothers. Don’t get me wrong … I love my parents and my Grandma. But now Campbell’s Soup Casserole is there. And because their profile is public, I get to see how Tommy liked their breakfast casserole recipe.

You’re reading this and probably saying… "why doesn’t she just unsubscribe or better yet … delete her account?"

You can’t. I can’t.

I can’t unsubscribe from a yearbook. I can’t unsubscribe from high school. We are now in a digital age where online life IS real life.

A few months ago, Zuckerberg said that he didn’t want Facebook to be a "cool" product, he wanted it to be an almost invisible utility, like electricity. And that’s what it is really …. It’s just a mirror of our own personalities, albeit an edited one.

I don’t hate Facebook. But I’m not meant to interact with 200+ people on a daily basis. There is a luxury to Facebook that we don’t have in the real world...
You can hide or block someone without them knowing it.

I realize that I’ll probably lose a few "friends" over this blasphemous diatribe.

I get it. Totally get it...
A BLOGGER is publishing an article containing only HER stream-of-consciousness ranting and is expecting all of YOU to tune in and listen. It’s as much of a narcissistic exercise as anything else on Facebook.

Touché!

I’ll tout Facebook for reconnecting me with aunt and uncles and friends and family members who I had loss touch with over the past. I keep my friend’s list extremely personal. I don’t add someone I just met once in a grocery store. I don’t add someone because they are friends with my husband and I’ve never met them. Each and every person on my Facebook page is a dear and close friend or family member. They are people I trust. People who I would invite into my home or care for my children. I once took my friend’s list from 563 to 152. It’s not a contest. I don’t need to most likes or the most friends.

There are times when I wish I was the 6%. Did you know that 94% of people are on Facebook? You can type in almost anyone and find him or her on Facebook. There is no such thing as a blind date anymore.

Since I was a teenager, I’ve known what it’s like to chat online, own a hotmail account, to forego CD’s to MP3s, and to transform virtually all of my physical world into a digital one. So it seemed logical that I owned a Facebook account.
But in a sense, I feel like I would’ve been more present in the present without it, more in tune to the moment rather than thinking about how best to capture it.
N'est-ce pas?

Anyway. Yes. I’m still on Facebook. I will always have a love/hate relationship with it. I have read some very annoying things on Facebook. But I also read some really amazing stories as well. I see breath-taking photos that I may not have ever seen otherwise. I’ve learned how to be a better mother, wife, and friend. I’ve learned how to perfect my meatloaf. I’ve learned that the Seven Dwarfs ride in the New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom will be opening in a few short months.
Facebook has made me realize the people I need to pray for and the people who need my shoulder most. I’ve learned that Marilyn is going to be a first-time Grandma (something she couldn’t WAIT for)!
Facebook has helped me update my bucket lists and dreams. I’ve been invited to parties and events that I would’ve otherwise missed. It’s helped me, as a blogger, connect with brands that I never would’ve thought about before.
And best of all…
I’ve learned that Mia McDowell is still cancer-free!

Just like Twitter, we all use our social medium differently. Or maybe we're not using them correctly.  But what is the correct way?
Facebook is here to stay. And I think that’s a good thing.  Regardless of what I've said above ;) 
 
One of the best things I've done is to take a tech time-out (Click to get some ideas)!
 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment