Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Things you should NOT be doing over the age of 30

Unfortunately, we all get stuck in a hamster wheel of habit. We do things we shouldn’t and remain where we shouldn’t.

When you hit a certain age … we need to stop talking about things we SHOULD be doing, and instead talk about the things that we SHOULDN’T be doing. Here is my list...

Sleeping until noon on the weekends
Obviously there are days when you need to catch up on rest after long workweeks. But why waste the day by sleeping? Turn off the TV at night and go to bed early.

Drinking too much
Hangovers seem to last a hell of a lot longer post-college years. Know your limit. If you know you, personally, can’t take shots of Tequila without consequences, don’t do them.

Overusing your debit card
Do you really need that $2.00 bottle of water? Do you?

Facebook stalk old flames
We’ve all been guilty. While yes … it did make me feel a teeny tiny bit better … it was stupid. Don’t borrow trouble. And checking up to see how an ex looks or what s/he is doing, is definitely borrowing trouble!

Forgetting (or Avoiding) to say I’m sorry
Man up. Admit when you’re wrong. Even if it’s in text or a sticky note. It can go a long way. And it’ll make you feel better in the long run.

Quit being the Victim
GRRR! When people tell me they’re doing something or making certain choices because they have "no choice," it makes me want to bang my head on the table…rinse, lather, REPEAT. Hey dumbass, you have a choice in EVERYTHING you do! Drop your gosh damn pride and accept your failures. Ask yourself: do you really WANT to fix the problem? Obviously not. So quit asking for help. Accept the fact that you are the only constant variable in your equation. Period.

Quit Avoiding
Life doesn’t work that way. You can’t pluck the fun parts out and leave the tough parts on the table. You take all or none. And deal with the cards you were dealt just like the rest of us. WE ALL have things we don’t want to do. But that’s what being an adult is like. You have to suck it up.

Stop procrastinating
Ahem, you say. What’s the name of my blog? Yeah. TOTALLY guilty. But in my defense … I started this blog before I was 30. Maybe now I should change it to: NON-Procrastinating Mommy. Mmmm, I'll work on this.
Anyway ... yesterday you said tomorrow. Stop saying that! Get off your ass and take charge. Quit relying and depending on other people to help you! Teach yourself diligence in all circumstances.

Quit calling in to work
Obviously there are reasons when you HAVE to call in (i.e.: child is sick, you’re head is buried in the bucket (because you actually have a stomach virus – NOT because of a hangover), etc). But if you’re over the age of 25 and calling in to work because "you’re too tired" … GROW UP and learn to be responsible! We all have the same number of hours in the day. You should’ve gone to bed earlier last night. It’s not your work’s fault that you didn’t. We all need an occasional mental health day. But when it’s YOU that is the reason that nobody else can use their personal day because you’ve called in … then you’re being a self-centered asshole. Refer back to: "Quit being the victim". It’s hard to feel sorry for you when you’re only thinking about yourself. Value that job someone else in the world wishes they had. You aren’t doing anyone a favor by calling in.
And don’t get me started on my soapbox of what you’re teaching your kids.

Getting into arguments over Social Media
Seriously. Just stop.

Totes stop talking like your Tween
If you have a job and a mortgage payment… you REALLY need to stop saying these.
BTW, I’m TOTALLY guilty of the: "I know, right?" one. Shut-up.


I’m ALL ABOUT the quote: "Live and Let Live" – but more in the sense of Gay Rights. Who am I to tell people how to live their life?! Especially when it has no affect on me whatsoever.
What you are – and where you are – at this age, can and will determine your whole future.
I’m not trying to be jaded or call anyone out. This is just merely my advice on how to be a decent and "mostly" good member of society.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment