Thursday, April 9, 2015

Stop with the Mom vs Mom

I had a very unnerving comment made towards me. So I feel obligated to address it. And what better place than on social media where the comment originated...

Someone sent me a message that read, "…but don’t you feel that the most important job you can have is to raise your child?  Don't you hate that somebody else is raising him?"

First off – screw you.  People like you are the ones who widen the rift between stay-at-home moms and working mothers.

I agree that the most important job you can have is to raise your children. When you brought your child into this world, from that point on, it was made your responsibility to raise and teach your child good and bad. I will not argue that at all. But just because I cart my sons off to daycare everyday does not mean I am not raising them. If my children misbehave, that’s all on me.  Same as when my child is well-behaved.

Second - our daycare provider is AMAZING!! My children are my pride and joy and my most expensive possession. I wouldn't let just anyone care for my kids. And she has taught them way more than I ever could have. How dare you question my choice on who cares for my child while I’m at work!

And Lastly - Because I work, it doesn't make me any less of a Mom.

Maybe since I’m not a SAHM anymore, I don’t have the authority to even be writing this. But that comment that was made to me, stung. I’m not sticking up for one mom or another.  I’m sticking up for ALL moms.

I’ve been it all - a SAHM, a WAHM and a WM outside the home.  One is not any easier than the other nor more important. Nor is one more self-sacrificing than the other.  It’s about knowing what is important for YOUR family.

I’m so OVER the sharing of controversial blog posts {in order to gain more readers and increase blog traffic} (ie – the ones that say, “5 things you should never say to a SAHM/WAHM”, etc).
Seriously, don’t read those any more and definitely don’t write those.  You’re only causing more harm than good.

All those posts are doing is containerizing a family’s personal decision. You can’t put huge life decisions into a label.  That’s not morally right.

Whether you are a SAHM, or a working mom ... you are a Mom. THAT is your only label.
You do not have to justify your personal choice to anyone else.

There are so many ways that we can support each other as women.  But it starts with the recognition that we’re all in different positions at different times in our lives. And that we’re all doing the very best that we can with what we have.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment