Thursday, November 10, 2011

An Alphabet Trip To The Limerick Zoo

An Alphabet Trip to the Limerick Zoo (Book Review)

My 4-year-old and I were given the opportunity to review "An Alphabet Trip to the Limerick Zoo" and boy was he glad we did. Mr. Smartypants liked the book quite a bit while I, was quite bored with it. But it's not meant for me ... so I guess my opinion really doesn't count, does it? 
The title of the book is cute.
Wikipedia describes "Limerick" as: a kind of a witty, humorous, or nonsense poem, especially one in five-line anapestic or amphibrachic meter with a strict rhyme scheme (AABBA), which is sometimes obscene with humorous intent.

Each letter of the alphabet is assigned an appropriate animal. For instance, “A” is for aardvark. A limerick was then written to feature each animal. One or two stretch the limits of limerick structure just a tad, but most of them are excellent examples of limericks. This is especially catchy when you consider that the content of each limerick actually describes and/or teaches about the featured animal.

Each limerick is also accompanied by a colorful illustration done by one of the students of the AIC College of Design. (I think that itself deserves a purchase! - You never know who might become a famous illustrator someday working for Disney ;-) ) Because there are a variety of illustrators, it’s fun to see the differences in artistic style, even within a certain consistency of illustration style. Do remember though that the illustrations are not completely realistic, particularly where colors are concerned.

My 4-year-old thoroughly enjoyed listening to the book as I read it. While I was more interested in the artwork.

Added BONUS that came with our book was a full paged coloring book so my son could color his own version of the Limerick(ed) <--- is that a word? animals. Sooooo much fun!


**Disclaimer: I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.**

No comments:

Post a Comment