Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Where Did The First Year Go?!?

Christopher is going to be ONE in a week.  How did this happen?  He was born, I blinked, and now he's turning one. 


He's our last baby.  Which makes this birthday a little more nostalgic.
But four is the magic number in our house.  Two kids (BOYS) is enough. 

Don't get me wrong ... I love watching my little guys grow.  It's one of the best (and hardest) parts of being a parent.  I enjoy connecting and interacting with Cash now that wasn't possible before -- let's see if I'm still saying this in 10 years when he's becoming a teenager.

Still, I can't help but already start to miss having a baby in the house.  There's something magical about it.

Like.....
  • The slobbery kisses (even you, Cale, are not allowed to give me any of those).
  • Baths.  For some reason, water on the floor isn't such a big deal when they're babies.
  • The dancing.  They don't care what they look like.  And they just bounce to the beat (or if it's Christopher, dance on one leg and be-bop up and down).
  • The silky smooth chubbiness and the dimples in their hands where the knuckles should be.  And then there's the dimple in the elbow. Oh how I love that little dent.
  • When you give them a firm "NO", it's followed by a toothless smile like they're thinking, "oh yeah, what are you gonna do about it?"
  • Their pucker up sad face they make when something startles them.

  • The way they walk.  With a not-so-straight shuffle with their arms out like they're either a zombie or they're drunk.
  • Seeing the world through their eyes.  How you have to stop a thousand times during a short walk just to look at leaves, squirrels, a dog barking, the branches on the trees swaying, etc.
  • Their fearlessness.  How somehow they think they can take a dive off the bed headfirst and be ok.
  • Their silky smooth, thin baby hair.
  • Baby babble.  And trying to figure out what they're trying to say, "dook, daw, woo" (Look!  Dog! Woof!)
  • Their smell.  And everything about it.
  • Folding their clothes and smiling at how tiny their pants and shirts are.
  • Being able to hold them on my lap without squirming to get away.
  • Farts.  Yes, farts.  Christopher let out a big one the other day which made us all giggle.  Cash thought it would be cute to squeeze one out as well.  NOT. THE. SAME.
  • Belly laughs.  And the way that a silly face or funny sound can make them burst the button on their jeans from giggling so hard.
  • And most of all:  Sleeping.   The peaceful, sweet, careless, innocent sleep.

Sure they were a handful.  Sure I've been barfed on in my face and poop smeared on my clothes.  Sure I've had my cell phone thrown in the trash and a binky tossed in the toilet.  Sure they caused me to lose some valuable sleep and chunks of hair.  But they're mine. 
And I can never ever seem to get enough of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment