Sunday, October 19, 2014

Shooting the Bries during National Cheese Month

See what I did there? Lol.
Did you know the average American eats 27 pounds of cheese per year, according to the Center for Science in the Public Interest?  That’s like … 553 squares of the processed squares.

I’m a BIG cheesehead. And I’m not referring to the yellow, processed, sandwich singles nor the blocks of processed cheese that seem to last an eternity.
I’m talking about the beautiful, artisanal, local cheeses that are increasingly being created right here in the United States. And possibly even in your hometown.

October is National Cheese Month in our great nation.  American Cheese Month is a celebration of North America’s delicious and diverse cheeses, and the farmers, cheesemakers, retailers, cheesemongers, and the chefs who bring them to your table.  And at Whole Foods – (who I am an ambassador for) – you can find some of THE TOP cheesemongers in the world.

Here’s why…
“Whole Foods Market cheesemongers are as passionate as they are talented when it comes to cheese, and we have worked hard to train them to earn this highest honor with classes, group study, and even field trips to dairies,” said Cathy Strange, global cheese buyer for Whole Foods Market.

On our monthly trip to Whole Foods I was SHOCKED at how many “types” of cheeses there were in their Cheese Pit. I mean, we’re talking goat cheese, cow cheese, sheep cheese, BUFFALO cheese. English cheese, Greek cheese, Spanish cheese, and French Cheese. Cheese I can pronounce (Mozzerela) and cheese I’m not even going to attempt to pronounce (Ossau Iraty). But there are a few things that helped ease my mind about the wide variety of cheeses that Whole Foods carries from the help of one of Wichita’s Whole Foods cheesemongers.  Many of the cheeses they sell are organic and most of them are free of rBST (recombinant bovine growth hormone). And they also don't sell any cheese that contains artificial flavors, colors or preservatives either.

 With over 400 different kinds of cheese in the Cheese Pit, it may seem a little overwhelming.  But remember, at Whole Foods – they have an open sampling policy.   So if you go in with an open mind – you’ll likely come out a cheesehead like me.

Our lives would be empty without cheese.  Especially our ravioli!


Hungry for more?
As a Whole Foods Ambassador, I’m not only lucky enough to get to learn about their awesome Market … but I also get to share the love.  I’ve been given a $25.00 gift certificate to one lucky reader to pick up recipes to make their next cheesy dish.
All you have to do is comment on this cheesy status on my Facebook page or comment below (or both for extra entries and you’re feeling really grate – pun totally intended? lol) and tell me what your favorite cheesy dish is.  Even if it’s grilled cheese with the processed singles. To each their own y'all! I won't judge.



Enjoy!  And Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

6 comments:

  1. This looks yummy! If you are looking for great cheeses to try there is Manchego, Halloumi (frying cheese but salty) or I sub Queso Blanco and fry it and it is less salty and great for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite cheesy dishes would be a fresh salad with bits of apple, cranberries, walnuts and the guest of honor- Blue Cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making cheesy enchiladas!

    Amanda

    amanda.townsend2 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the cooler weather, I love making French Onion Soup from scratch, starting with a good stock, and finishing it in the oven with earthenware bowls topped with crusty bread and cheese to melt down over it. Nothing is more fun than to share this soup after raking leaves or going for a hike!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to take brie and top it with a mixture of brown sugar & pecans then warm in the oven. It is delicious with melba toast. scrappin_sis02 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love an apple with sharp cheddar and some crackers.

    ReplyDelete