Sunday, June 16, 2013

For my Dad on Father's Day...

I remember you building snowmen and forts in the snow. I remember you teaching me how to ride my bike. I remember you bringing home garbage bags full of popcorn and me thinking that was the best thing in the world. I remember you telling me never give up when I was learning how to roller-skate.

I remember piggyback rides and riding across the state to pick up film for the next movie. I remember fishing and camping and every vacation you took me on every. single. year. And I remember holding your hand when we were in an unfamiliar place so I wouldn’t get lost.

I also remember the speech you gave me when I stayed out a little too late.
I remember the speech you gave me when I came home drunk.
I remember the speech you gave me when I lied and you caught me.


I also remember how you picked me back up after a fight with my best friend(s).
I remember when you picked me back up after my boyfriends broke my heart.
I remember every talk and every speech you ever gave me about how I should act as a woman, and how I should deserve to be treated as a partner.

We have been through a lot, you and me. And you never once gave up on me. You may have beat my ass and grounded me for months … but you never gave up.

My favorite speech that you’ve given me so far is the one you gave on my wedding day in front of hundreds of our closest friends and family. You showed me again how brave and how awesome you really are.

You always told me to find a man that will open every door for me every single day.
So I did.
You always told me to find a man that will be handy and fix something when it breaks.
So I did.
You always told me to find a man that would support me in every possible way. Especially when it came to cheering on the Huskers.
So I did.

You always told me to find a man that would take his family on vacations every year just as you did.
So I did.
You always told me to find a man that would love me and his family as much as he possible could.
So I did.
And if there’s one thing I actually did that you told me to do … it was that. And I’m so glad I did.

We didn’t have a lot of money growing up. But you had a lot of love. I’ll never know the number of hours you worked or the amount of energy and sacrifice you gave into making sure I had every thing I wanted. But it didn’t go unnoticed nor did it go unappreciated.

If there’s one thing I can promise you it’s this….
I promise that I’ll always come back to you, as will my boys. When you’re old and gray and can barely get out of your chair, we’ll be there. We’ll be there to mow your yard and take you out for ice cream. Just as you do for us now.
 
Thanks for being one heckuva good dad growing up and now papa to my boys.

I hope you have the very best Father’s Day. It’s YOUR day, padre!




 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment